Evaluation of prenatal-onset osteochondrodysplasias by ultrasonography: A retrospective and prospective analysis

Creative Commons License

Krakow D., ALANAY Y., Rimoin L. P., Lin V., Wilcox W. R., Lachman R. S., ...More

AMERICAN JOURNAL OF MEDICAL GENETICS PART A, no.15, pp.1917-1924, 2008 (SCI-Expanded) identifier identifier identifier


The osteochondrodysplasia or skeletal dysplasias are a heterogenous group of over 350 distinct disorders of skeletogenesis. Many manifest in the prenatal diagnosis. A retrospective analysis evaluated 1,500 cases referred to the International Skeletal Dysplasia Registry (ISDR) to determine the relative frequency of specific osteochondrodysplasias and correlation of ultrasound versus radiographic diagnoses for these disorders. Within the retrospective cohort of 1,500 cases, 85% of the referred cases represented well-defined skeletal dysplasias, and the other 15% of cases were a mixture of genetic syndromes and probable early-onset intrauterine growth restriction. The three most common prenatal-onset skeletal dysplasias were osteogenesis imperfecta type 2, thanatophoric dysplasia and achondrogenesis 2, accounting for almost 40% of the cases. In a prospective analysis of 500 cases using a standardized ultrasound approach to the evaluation of these disorders, the relative frequencies of osteogenesis imperfecta type 2, thanatophoric dysplasia and achondrogenesis 2 were similar to the retrospective analysis. This study details the relative frequencies of specific prenatal-onset osteochondrodysplasias, their heterogeneity of prenatal-onset skeletal disorders and provides a standardized prenatal ultrasound approach to these disorders which should aid in the prenatal diagnosis of fetuses suspected of manifesting skeletal dysplasias. (c) 2008 Wiley-Liss, Inc.