Weekly paclitaxel in pretreated metastatic breast cancer: Retrospective analysis of 52 patients

Creative Commons License

Baltali E., Altundag K., Ozisik Y., Guler N., Tekuzman G.

TOHOKU JOURNAL OF EXPERIMENTAL MEDICINE, vol.203, no.3, pp.205-210, 2004 (SCI-Expanded) identifier identifier identifier

  • Publication Type: Article / Article
  • Volume: 203 Issue: 3
  • Publication Date: 2004
  • Doi Number: 10.1620/tjem.203.205
  • Journal Indexes: Science Citation Index Expanded (SCI-EXPANDED), Scopus
  • Page Numbers: pp.205-210
  • Hacettepe University Affiliated: No


Single-agent paclitaxel has been shown to be effective as both first- and second-line treatment of metastatic breast cancer, and the efficacy and tolerability of weekly administration of paclitaxel has generated much interest. Fifty-two patients with pretreated metastatic breast cancer who were admitted to Hacettepe University between January 2001 and June 2002 were retrospectively analyzed in this study. Paclitaxel was administered weekly in a dose of 80 mg/m(2) over 1 hour. The median number of cycles delivered was 20 weeks (range, 8 to 24). The median delivered dose was 2400 mg (range, 960 to 3840 mg). At a median follow-up of 12.3 months (range, 6 to 17), all patients were assessable for response and toxicity. A complete response and partial response were observed in 7 (13.5%), and 19 (36.5%) patients, respectively. Overall response rate was 50%. Median duration of response was 10 months (range, 3 to 16). Therapy was generally well tolerated, and toxicities were manageable. Severe leukopenia was seen in two (4%) patients. Based on these results, we conclude that weekly paclitaxel is a well-tolerated and highly effective regimen in pre-treated metastatic breast cancer. (C) 2004 Tohoku University Medical Press.