Laser treatment of dual matrix structured cast iron surface: Corrosion resistance of surface


Yilbas B. S. , Toor I., Karatas C., Malik J., Ovali I.

OPTICS AND LASERS IN ENGINEERING, vol.64, pp.17-22, 2015 (Peer-Reviewed Journal) identifier identifier

  • Publication Type: Article / Article
  • Volume: 64
  • Publication Date: 2015
  • Doi Number: 10.1016/j.optlaseng.2014.07.008
  • Journal Name: OPTICS AND LASERS IN ENGINEERING
  • Journal Indexes: Science Citation Index Expanded, Scopus
  • Page Numbers: pp.17-22

Abstract

Laser gas assisted treatment of dual matrix structured cast iron surface is carried out and the corrosion response of the surface is examined. A carbon film containing 15% SiC particles and remaining 85% carbon are formed at the workpiece surface prior to the laser treatment process. The formation of carbon film enhances the absorption of the incident laser beam and accommodates uniformly the SIC particles at the workpiece surface. Nitrogen at high pressure is used as an assisting gas during the laser treatment process. Metallurgical and morphological changes in the laser treated layer are examined using a scanning electron microscope, energy dispersive spectroscopy, and X-ray diffraction. Electrochemical tests are carried out to measure the corrosion response of the laser treated and untreated workpiece surfaces. It is found that laser treatment results in a dense layer consisting of fine grains, partially dissolved SiC, and nitrogen compounds in the treated region, which improves corrosion resistance of the laser treated workpiece surface. (C) 2014 Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.