Investigation of anti-R7V antibodies in HIV-infected patients under highly active antiretroviral therapy


ERGUENAY K., ALTINBAS A., ÇALIK BAŞARAN N. , UENAL S., US D., KARABULUT E. , ...Daha Fazla

MIKROBIYOLOJI BULTENI, cilt.42, sa.3, ss.413-419, 2008 (SCI İndekslerine Giren Dergi) identifier identifier identifier

  • Yayın Türü: Makale / Tam Makale
  • Cilt numarası: 42 Konu: 3
  • Basım Tarihi: 2008
  • Dergi Adı: MIKROBIYOLOJI BULTENI
  • Sayfa Sayıları: ss.413-419

Özet

R7V is a seven-aminoacid peptide epitope derived from cellular beta-2 microglobulin, present on human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) virion surface in patients with HIV infection. Antibodies against R7V peptide have the property of neutralizing all strains of HIV, unrelated to genotype, phenotype, or geographical origin of the virus, even in the presence of anti-retroviral drug resistance. Patients that mount an anti-R7V antibody response have been shown to be slow or non-progressors and this epitope has been considered for vaccine and/or therapeutic uses. In this study, HIV-infected patients under highly active anti-retroviral therapy (HAART) at Hacettepe University Faculty of Medicine, Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Infectious Diseases, were evaluated for the presence of anti-R7V antibodies. Thirty-three HIV positive patients and 10 healthy controls were enrolled to the study. For HIV-infected patients, determination of viral load and CD4(+) T lymphocyte counts were performed by a commercial real-time PCR assay and flow cytometry respectively. Anti-R7V antibodies were detected from serum samples by a commercial ELISA (Anti-R7V ELISA (TM), Ivagen, France) test. Three HIV infected patients (3/33, 9.1%) displayed anti-R7V antibodies whereas the remaining 30 (90.9%) patients and all controls were interpreted as negative. No statistically significant difference was detected for HIV-RNA levels and CD4(+) T lymphocyte counts between anti-R7V positive and negative patients (p = 0.871 and p = 0.287, respectively). These results indicate the presence of anti-R7V antibodies in our study population with HIV infection. No correlation with the presence of anti-R7V and disease progression were displayed in this study. Clinical impact of anti-R7V antibody assays for the management of HIV-infected patients will be revealed in the near future with the help of advanced studies.