Topotecan as a second-line therapy in patients with ovarian and primary peritoneal cancer: initial response and long-term follow-up

Ayhan A., Taskiran C., Yigit-Celik N., GÜLTEKİN M., Tuncer S., Guler N., ...More

EUROPEAN JOURNAL OF GYNAECOLOGICAL ONCOLOGY, vol.27, no.6, pp.603-606, 2006 (SCI-Expanded) identifier identifier identifier

  • Publication Type: Article / Article
  • Volume: 27 Issue: 6
  • Publication Date: 2006
  • Journal Indexes: Science Citation Index Expanded (SCI-EXPANDED), Scopus
  • Page Numbers: pp.603-606
  • Hacettepe University Affiliated: Yes


The purpose of this study was to evaluate the role of topotecan at a dose of 5-day standard 1.5 mg/m2/day in patients with relapsed ovarian cancer. Two different groups of patients were included. In group 1, 23 patients who had bidemensionally measurable disease were examined, and in group 2, 11 patients were given topotecan after positive second-look laparotomy (SLL) were analyzed. Total number of cycles was 190 with a median value of six cycles. In group 1, three (13%) patients had complete response (CR) and seven (30%) had partial response (PR) with a total response rate of 43%. Six patients (27%) had stable disease (SD), and seven (30%) had progressive disease (PD). Median survival durations for patients with CR, PR, SD, and PD were 35, 14, 15, and two months, respectively. In group 2, two patients had PD during treatment. The remaining nine patients had no measurable disase or market relapse at the end of treatment period. Median survival duration was 27 months. In conclusion, topotecan had significant antitumor activity as a second-line therapy in relapsed ovarian cancer patients with measurable disease. In a subgroup of patients with positive second-look laparotomy topotecan was also associated with long median survival duration.