A new tool supporting the diagnosis of childhood-onset Behcet's disease: venous wall thickness


ATALAY E., OĞUZ B., ŞENER S., ÖZCAN H. N. , SAĞ E., KAYA AKCA Ü., ...More

RHEUMATOLOGY, 2022 (SCI-Expanded) identifier identifier

  • Publication Type: Article / Article
  • Publication Date: 2022
  • Doi Number: 10.1093/rheumatology/keac314
  • Journal Name: RHEUMATOLOGY
  • Journal Indexes: Science Citation Index Expanded (SCI-EXPANDED), Scopus, Academic Search Premier, BIOSIS, CINAHL, EMBASE, International Pharmaceutical Abstracts, MEDLINE
  • Keywords: Behcet's disease, ultrasonography, vasculitis, incomplete Behcet's disease, venous wall thickness, INTIMA-MEDIA THICKNESS, PEDIATRIC-ONSET, CAROTID-ARTERY, INVOLVEMENT
  • Hacettepe University Affiliated: Yes

Abstract

Objectives The lower extremity venous wall thickness (VWT) of Behcet's disease (BD) patients was reported to be significantly increased in adults, suggesting its use for the support of BD diagnosis. This prospective study aimed to investigate the lower extremity VWT in childhood-onset definite and incomplete BD patients and compare it to healthy age-matched controls. Methods Paediatric patients classified with BD according to the 2015 international paediatric BD criteria in our centre were included in the study. Intima-media thickness of the lower extremity veins to evaluate VWT was measured by ultrasonography, including common femoral vein (CFV), femoral vein (FV), vena saphena magna, vena saphena parva and popliteal vein (PV). Results In this cross-sectional study, VWT was measured in 35 patients (63% male) and 27 healthy controls (55% male). Thirteen (37%) of 35 patients met the criteria for the diagnosis of BD. The remaining 22 (63%) had incomplete BD and met two criteria. The median VWT values of both definite and incomplete BD patients were significantly higher than the control group in all veins on both sides. Regarding the best cut-off values of VWT for all lower extremity veins, the sensitivity rates were between 63% and 86%, while specificity rates were between 71% and 100%. Conclusion Increased VWT was present not only in BD patients with vascular involvement but also in those without. We suggest that VWT may be a new criterion in supporting the diagnosis of childhood BD both in definite and incomplete BD patients.