Respiratory distress due to esophageal perforation caused by ball point ingestion


Turken A., Tanyel F. C. , Hicsonmez A.

TURKISH JOURNAL OF PEDIATRICS, vol.41, no.3, pp.391-393, 1999 (Journal Indexed in SCI) identifier identifier identifier

  • Publication Type: Article / Article
  • Volume: 41 Issue: 3
  • Publication Date: 1999
  • Title of Journal : TURKISH JOURNAL OF PEDIATRICS
  • Page Numbers: pp.391-393

Abstract

A 15-month-old girl who developed respiratory distress which persisted for three days prior to admission demonstrated pleural effusion on the chest x-ray which was determined to be due to esophageal perforation caused by the ingestion of a ball point. A gastrotomy was performed to extract the ball point. A gastrostomy was performed and a chest tube was inserted. The esophagus was normal radiologically within one month. Foreign body ingestion may cause esophageal perforation in childhood. If it goes unnoticed and a diagnosis is delayed, there is danger of the more hazardous development of mediastinitis. It is important that a child with respiratory distress also be evaluated for esophageal foreign body ingestion.